Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year Musings

Do you ever feel as though you are running on a hamster wheel and never going anywhere? You're doing so much to try and keep up yet it feels as though you're getting nowhere? I feel like that a lot lately. At the end of a long day, I lie in bed and think of all the things I didn't get done and of all the things I need to get done the next day and it seems as though the list just grows longer. Whether its physical things like housework and errands, financial goals or failures, long held goals or dreams, or just dailyies "I-should-start-doing-this-or-that", its as though I'll never reach the end of that list.

As the new year has come upon us, I feel as though its time to start weaning myself off the wheel and actually accomplishing some things. I have not done Resolutions in years because by Jan 5, I have already failed at them. But I think I was taking the wrong approach to it. Setting high and lofty goals that would never be attained: don't drink sugary drinks, stop eating chocolate, exercise everyday (notice they tend to be of the physical improvement department), and not really giving myself any help in these areas by making the goals more manageable. And besides, for my resolutions to be geared toward the outside is boring and predictable! This year I have decided to focus more on things that I actually want to do and am motivated to do it. I also work really well when I have a goal set in mind and a time-frame to do it, so instead of thinking how I will do one thing for a whole year I am going to break them up into monthly objectives. Things that have been on my mind...

*Monthly date night
*Monthly Sunday dinners with various church families
*Monthly project goal (like do 3 pages of scrapbooking, or complete Blake's baby book, etc)
*Read some more theological books (not sure how I will break this one down, maybe one every quarter or something)

As you can see, these items are a bit more specific and have always been on my mind in various forms but I need to actually set some manageable goals to get them done. With things like having people over on Sunday, James and I have been saying for two years how we want to do this but then we inevitably forget and don't ever do it or just do it on occasion. No more!! We will set the third Sunday as the Sunday to have someone from church over. So that way its on the calendar and we don't forget.

I just feel as though I need some concrete goals in place so I can feel as though I am accomplishing things. I thrive on organization and I hope this will help me to become more orgnanized and see that list grow shorter. Here's to a great 2010!

7 comments:

Night Nurse said...

Nice! I like the musings.

Gospel.or.Death said...

April, I have advice. Two advices, actually. (I find "pieces of advice" so clumsy, and I just don't think it should be necessary.)

First, if you want to have people over once a month, and you intend to make SURE to do it every month, then why not sit down and plan out the entire year, and invite the people now? Get all those dates on the calendar, and that will force you to stick to it. (But I think you'll have a hard time in November and December if it must be the third Sunday.)

Second, the key to getting theological reading done is manifold. By that I mean there isn't any one single factor that will make it all click like magic. There are, however, a number of pointers I will offer.

First, you need good authors. Nothing is so horrible as slugging through a tedious book that makes your brain turn to mush so that you have to go back and re-read everything three times before it sinks in. German authors are the worst. Try reading Kant or Hegel sometime, and you'll see what I mean. Actually, it's best if you just take my word for it. Stay away from German authors. I do.

Authors I would recommend include Machen, W.Robert Godfrey, David Vandrunen, Graeme Goldsworthy and Kim Riddlebarger. All of these men are VERY good authors, easy to read, etc. Plus, you know you can trust them not to steer you the wrong way. Their stuff is solid. The only exception is Riddlebarger's stuff on the Man of Sin - I haven't read it, but I know he believes that there will be one Antichrist who shows up at the end of history (at least I think that's what he believes) - but it's not like this is unorthodox. You may find his views interesting. His "Case for Amillennialism" is very highly recommended, and he is an excellent writer. VERY readable.

Authors I would beg you to avoid would be Kline, Vos, Van Til and Horton. Oh yes, all their stuff is good and good for you, but TOUGH reading that will probably discourage you very quickly.

Second, set small goals here. Don't vow to complete Berkhof's entire Systematic Theology or Calvin's Institutes. Shorter Writings is what you want to look for. There are collections of some famous authors of their shorter writings, and usually these words (shorter writings) are in the title of the book. These will be, you guessed it, shorter, and as such, easier to read. Completing an essay will make you feel like you accomplished something, and the task won't feel so overwhelming.

The Shorter Writings of John Murray would be one I'd definitely recommend. I would also recommend his "Redemption Accomplished and Applied". Tiny book, big lessons. There's a Shorter Writings of Machen out too, also very good.

There are also about a million books that are collections of essays on various topics by multiple authors. Some of these are awesome, but all of them are a mixed bag. I would recommend, for example, my faculty's volume called: Covenant, Justification and Pastoral Ministry.

Gospel.or.Death said...

Third, you've got to figure out what you're interested in. Are you interested in the Church? How about the End Times? Is history your thing? Perhaps DVD's book on Bioethics or more recently on the Two Kingdoms? Biblical interpretation? Do you have a doctrinal question, a theological itch? Biographies?

I could make a thousand recommendations, but I would need to know more about what you're interested in.

Fourth, do NOT let theological reading be your ONLY reading. Theological books are a certain kind of book, and it wouldn't do for you to begin to think of all books as if they were theological books. Some guys come out of seminary, for example, talking like a theological book, and have to spend a long time learning to be a normal person again. Not that a little theological reading here and there will have this effect per se, but if this is your only reading, your reading will be unbalanced.

So do a little bit of theological reading, but also do a lot of pleasure reading. It's much more satisfying than watching TV, plus you can do it inside or outside, in the car or on a plane. Books engage your imagination and your mind to a much deeper degree than TV or movies do. Plus this will also make you a better reader in general. The more reading you do, the better you'll get at it, which means the less you'll loathe the task. So read theology books, but also read fiction.

Finally, don't read for the sake of getting the reading done. That's what I have to do, and I promise it takes almost all the fun out of it. Read for understanding. When you read for understanding, it's ok if you only read 5 or 10 pages a day. Let the author make ONE point and then put the book down and think about that point from time to time throughout the course of the day and be sure to understand it.

People put a lot of stock in reading the Bible through in a year, but I would rather people read one verse a day and think about that one verse all day long. I'm becoming a big advocate of memorization for that reason. You memorize one verse, and that causes it to be near at hand all the time. And the more you chew on it, the more you'll get out of it. Think of theological reading like that. Spend time with it. You've got the rest of your life to read books. But I guarantee you that no matter how many you read in your life, you'll still be aware of how little you've read. So don't feel like there's a goal that needs to be met over the course of a lifetime of reading. There is no such goal that would be realistic or meaningful. That means that in the long term, your goal should be simple: just do some reading. Don't assign an amount, don't assign a goal, unless it's to finish this book...eventually by reading a little bit everyday. 5-10 minutes a day is more than most people.

Ghee

Danielle said...

Wow Mike... do you ever leave a short comment?? Haha. :)

April, good for you on the resolutions. They sound attainable and fun! I should make some of my own.

April said...

Mike, thanks for the advices. I am a big reader and love to read for pleasure. But had just wanted to make sure I sprinkle in some variety in the form of doctrinal books. Redemption Accomplished and Applied has been on my list for years now and I just felt as though I needed something to jumpstart the reading and make sure I don't forget. So that's one I'll be starting out with. Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out!

Sunny said...

I've been meaning to blog about my goals for the year but just haven't done it. I think it's a bit late now to start, lol. I think you have great goals. Short ones that you can actually do are perfect! I have a lot of similar ones too. I would never have thought of setting a goal of having a regular date night. Raymond and I are bad about taking time for ourselves. Update us on how you're doing with your goals throughout the year! I'd love to read about it.

PS- I am really very sorry I missed commenting on your blog. Ugh, the only reason I like blogging myself is for the comments so I feel like it was worth it to take the time to blog! hahaha. I resolve to do better! :)

Celeste said...

I've been in the hamster wheel ever since I was sick out of my mind when I was pregnant with Ella. I feel like I'm on top of the world whenever I get around to mopping the floors. The tiniest of accomplishments are huge for me. So, I totally understand what you're feeling. I already failed at my Resolution this year. And I NEVER make resolutions. I wanted to have taxes filed by now. (Enter time-up buzzer sound here.) My long list involves having some sort of preschool time with Maddie, and cleaning up my office so that I have a "homeschoolish" room for her, but time seems to fly by so quickly, the days, weeks, and months are over before I get anything done, including cleaning my office for some "Maddie space". When I get down on myself Mark always reminds me that "you ARE getting things done. You're taking care of your kids." Maybe we should put "6 diaper changes" and "2 homemade meals for my family" and "make sure baby gets a nap" and "give 8 kisses" on our goal lists each day. Then we'd more easily realize how much we actually accomplish even if it isn't what we had in mind.