Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Prenatal Class

Last week Wednesday James and I had our first prenatal class. We signed up for the 3 week class. Its just a basic info class that tells you all you need to know of labor and delivery, postpartum, and basic baby care. Last week the instructor was explaining a few things of what happens during labor. Since I just finished reading a L&D book, I was fairly knowledgeable of the terms she was using and what she was talking about. Plus being a female, you grow up hearing birthing stories so none of the information was too surprising for me. Poor James though. He has no clue really about what is going to happen. She was talking about bulging membranes and ruptured membranes (water bag hanging low and breaking) and James looked a little grossed out about that. Then she mentioned episiotomy and James whispered to me, "What's that?" I whispered back, "When they cut you...down there." He had a horrified expression and said "ooh!" Yeah, not pleasant stuff hon.

After the lecture she gave us a tour of the L&D unit and the Mother Recovery floor. The L&D rooms are super nice and extremely spacious. This whole wing was redone a couple of years ago so everything is really nice and updated. The room basically looks like a hotel room so that is nice. Then she showed us the Recovery rooms and the nursery. The recovery rooms are smaller but still outfitted very comfortably. In the nursery there were two little babies and one had a lot of dark hair on its head. James in all his hilarious ignorance said this...
J- "Whoa, that baby has a lot of hair!"
Me- "Yes, he sure does."
J- "But he is going to lose it all, right?"
M- "No, what do you mean he's going to lose it? Why would he lose his hair?"
J- "Well, because aren't all babies bald? So doesn't that mean his hair is going to fall out since babies are supposed to be bald?"
M- laughing "No! Every baby is different, not all babies come out bald! Some come out with a lot of hair, some just a little. His hair will NOT fall out!"
J- "Oh, well I heard somewhere that their hair falls out. I sorta know these things, babe."
M- "Yeah...right."

Then it was back down to the meeting room to work on some relaxation and breathing techniques. James and I were way too giggly during this time. The lights are low, the instructor is talking in a deep, calming voice "imagine you're on the sandy shore, you hear the waves gently crashing,.." while we are supposed to be breathing deeply and evenly, James keeps making comments that cause me to lose focus and laugh. I threatened to hurt him if he didn't start concentrating and taking it a little more seriously. Thankfully we made it through without busting up laughing.

Tonight (assuming its still on cuz of the snow) we are going to watch a birthing video. Now that is going to be fun.

6 comments:

Sunny said...

Some babies lose their hair, or some of it, but yeah, it doesn't always happen! How funny! Does James know there is a placenta that has to be birthed? That has confused quite a few guys at the hospital, they think when the doctor says you have to push again that there's an unknown twin in there, LOL! Ew, birthing videos are so gross. Our class watched a video where the woman in labor insisted on being completely naked and it freaked a few people out. They thought they'd have to be naked to give birth too!
Does your instructor make James pinch you while you're doing the "relaxation" part? Ugh, they totally made the guys do that in our birthing class. It was so stupid and it did NOT help!

April said...

I told him that babies might lose some of their hair but it doesn't mean ALL babies will and certainly not ALL babies are to be bald. He does know of the placenta, I told Dani about it a few days ago and she was really shocked and grossed out. LOL No pinching in our class, what the heck does that accomplish?

Kourtni said...

LOL I'm totally busting up about the hair comment. I love it. Guys are so funny. OOOh... birthing video. Please just know that WATCHING it is way worse than doing it. And I'm not even kidding. lol

Danielle said...

Oh James makes me crack up! He is just totally clueless when it comes to babies!!!

Talia said...

hehe... first-time dads are so cute. He will learn all about the baby stuff pretty quickly! :)

I'm so glad you commented on my blog, because to be honest I've been reading yours for a while now. I guess I'm what you'd call a "Lurker" over here. :) It's been so neat to hear all about your pregnancy adventures, and I am so excited and happy for you! you're almost there... don't you feel like it's flown by? I know I do, with my pregnancy.

by the way, you make one ADORABLE pregnant lady.

Mommy Diffee said...

Ha ha Birthing Classes are ... disturbing! First of all the video's are from the 70's and they are so dramatic and gross! I think I learned more from reading =) And they made Ryan pink me ... hard ... to work on my pain tolerance! That made me mad!
Peyton was born with a ton of hair, he lost most of it after a couple months, and then grew it back =) Every baby is different!