Monday, March 30, 2009

The Already but Not Yet

It snowed yesterday. Where we are if you think you are out of winter you never really are. Just as you start to see buds come up and the dry ground start to get a bit of green. As the robins come out to play and the ducks come back to start their family. Just as you are getting so sick of your sweaters that you never want to see them again and you think you can finally start to pull your warmer clothes out from hiding it snows. Yup, that's how it is here. The weather is consistent in its inconsistency. Now I think we really have had the last snow of the season (fingers crossed) because I am SO ready for spring! Or whatever glimpse of it I can get.

4 comments:

Gospel.or.Death said...

In the words of Primus, "Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed; they don't mean quite so much." Wise words from wise men.

Now if I may apply this wisdom to your post. If you lived in, say, Southern California, where it is sunny and warm all the time, yes, at first it would be a dream come true. It would seem like always being on vacation.

But that's just it. You would feel like you were always on vacation. It would cease to have as much meaning. While at first, your heart would sing almost till bursting when you stepped outside your door, after a while, you wouldn't really care anymore. You'd be complaining about how hot it is and how the sun hurts your eyes.

Meanwhile, when Pam and I went to Montana this past winter for a little ice and snow, it was great. It was so relaxing. I was driving on highways going 30mph and I didn't care one bit. The cold, brisk air was invigorating, the snow was beautiful.

But here in Southern California, where the land is never cleansed by snow, everything is dirty, cluttered and overgrown. There are a billion spiders everywhere, and grass is a thing for the very rich and golf courses. Most people have rocks for their front yard. Our water supplies are always low, and that means our water tastes like a penny. You never get used to it.

Ah, snow, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

April said...

Well, yes living here does make you appreciate the seasons much more. I am glad that I don't live in a one season climate but really want warm weather to come sooner rather than later!

Night Nurse said...

Ah, the snow...Mike has a point. I miss the spring bulbs and the crocuses (or croci as I like to call them) and the fresh, crisp, earthiness of it all. Doesn't happen much in these parts. Although, I had to confess, I don't miss the joint pain and salt on my car. :o)

Sunny said...

Awww, I hope it warms up soon for you! I can't believe you can have snow there this late in the year!