Monday, October 27, 2008

The end of my career

I have worked at my company for almost a year and a half now but today is the day I tell them that I am leaving. I have never been career driven and never wanted to "move up the corporate ladder". I basically was working until the Lord saw fit to give us a family and since that is happening its time to say sayonara to interpreting.

I had thought that maybe I would want to stay with the company if it was benefical to me but after talking to one of my bosses, it doesn't really seem that way. There are three levels of status within the company for interpreters- full-time, part-time, or independant contractor. I have been part-time since I joined but knew that there was some type of minimum of hours that one needed to work to stay within the company. Right now I can basically work anywhere from 0-29 hours in a given work week since I decide my schedule. Its nice since it gives me plenty of flexibility without demanding a certain amount of hours. But once Blake is here, I really don't want to work at all. I have been longing, since I was a little girl, to just be a stay-at-home mom who would be able to give my full attention to my family. I thought that maybe I would be able to still keep my status within the company but only work like every 5 or 6 months. But that is not the case.

For both part-time and independant, the hours demanded for work are the same and if you do not work at all for three months then you are considered terminated. After talking with my scheduler, he recommended for me to come in at least every 4-6 weeks to keep up to date on what is happening at work, like reading new policies or doing training. He said if I came in every 3 months it would be harder to be kept informed (plus since he makes the schedule, he would rather I work more and not less to cover the company's needs, I am sure). But that is not something I want to do at all. I wouldn't even want to come in at least until Blake is 6 months but obviously that can't happen since the time limit is I must work within 3 months.

So after talking it over with the scheduler and getting more info and talking it over with James, it seems best that I just leave. I really wouldn't want to work at all but just thought maybe it would be nice to have it on the back burner if I needed to. So today I tell them that this week is my last week. I did not schedule myself for the whole month of November and was planning on not working anymore at the end of October. My energies and thoughts are all on baby prepping at this time and its really hard for me to stay motivated to go to work and do a good job. James has been doing pretty well with his new job so we figure its best to cut ties now.

I just am not thrilled about telling my boss. Its never easy to tell your superior that you want to leave. I really don't think she will have a problem with it but I do feel its a little last minute although I couldn't have told her any earlier since she has not been at work for the whole month of October. Today is the day she is back and today is the day to tell her of my decision.

I am looking forward to being done with the whole career thing. I am so ready to start my new job as a mother and to be able to focus more on my family and not have my time divided. I can't wait until this day and this week is over with then I'll be free!

2 comments:

Sunny said...

I'm glad it is all working out and that you can retire! :) You'll love being at home with little Blake. I'm so excited for him to get here!

Kourtni said...

Hey April! Did you leave your job last week? How did everything go with your boss?? Congrats on your new "mommy career" and many blessings in the new phase of your life!!